Students completing this program will be able to:
- Identify most essential/fundamental health conditions facing CHW's or related work in communities.
- Define the role of a Community Health Worker as it relates to education, advocacy and healthcare coordination for individuals, families, and communities regarding specific health topics for vulnerable populations.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the core competencies related to Community Health Workers.
- Provide informal counseling and social support designed to initiate and uphold trusting relationships and to develop capacity building strategies to enhance the interests of individuals, families, and the community.
- Use key public health concepts and approaches in systematic solving of health care and public health problems.
- Create connections and navigating barriers between vulnerable populations and accessing the healthcare system.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the ability to work with diverse, multidisciplinary wrap- around care teams including compliance with reporting, record keeping, and documentation.
- Improve quality of healthcare for individuals and families struggling with chronic medical, mental health and substance abuse issues.