The DLC is one of eight standing committees that are part of the college governance structure. This committee was established in 2002, in recognition of the need for on-going, legitimate, and consistent attention to diversity issues at NSCC. The DLC is charged with developing and recommending policy and strategic planning outcomes regarding diversity issues, serving as a clearinghouse for activities relating to diversity, and improving the institutional culture.
Membership consists of 20 faculty, staff, and students representing various departments and diversity groups on campus.
The DLC has been focusing on four areas:
- Identifying and ensuring the provision of services that meet the needs of our diverse student population.
- Participating in the recruitment and hiring of faculty and staff by representing the DLC on search committees.
- Raising awareness and celebrating diversity with activities such as Black History Month.
- Developing linkages with diversity groups on campus.
Recent projects include:
- Faces of NSCC - photo project to highlight the diversity of NSCC students and staff using photos and quotes around a particular theme. The result was a slide show shown at the Multicultural Fair, Orientation, Graduation and at the Employee Recognition Breakfast.