If you are one of the following you may be asked to provide an IRS Verification of Non-filing letter:
- Independent students
- spouse of an independent student
- both parents of dependent students (if applicable)
This letter provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed tax Form 1040, 1040A
or 1040EZ for the year you requested.
Non Tax Filers can request an IRS Verification of Non-filing of their tax return status, free of charge, from the IRS.
Non-Filing letter ordered online
This option is typically not available if you have never filed taxes before in prior years. If this is the case, please use the paper request process detailed below.
- Go to www.irs.gov
- Click "Get Your Tax Record"
- Click "Get Transcript Online"
- You will go through a user authentication process and will need access to your personal email address, Social Security Number, Date of Birth, Street Address, Zip or Postal Code Click "Continue"
- Select "Return Transcript" and put in the tax year you are requesting.
- The document will display in PDF (you will need to turn off your pop-up blocker).
Non-Filing letter ordered by mail
- Form 4506-T is available online at www.irs.gov
- Click “Get Your Tax Record”
- Under “Related Forms” (right hand side), click “About Form 4506-T, Request Transcript of Tax Return”
- Under “Current Products”, click “Form 4506-T” to download the PDF form
- Complete Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return)
- Make sure that box 7 “Verification of Non-filing” is checked.
- Box 9 “Year or period requested, enter 12/31/2016 or 2016 Tax Year
- Sign the bottom of the 4506-T form, date and phone number
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form to the appropriate address (or fax number) provided on page 2 of the form, based on where you lived at the time you filed your 2016 federal tax return.
- Do not have the IRS send the Verification of Non-filing directly to NSCC as a third party.
- You can expect to receive your IRS Verification Non-filing Letter within 10 to 14 days.
Once you have the letter
Once you have received the Verification of Non-Filing letter from the IRS, write the student’s name and NSCC # on the IRS letter and submit it to Student Financial Service