Transfer Credit

If you have enrolled in a program of study and have provided NSCC with an official transcript from a previously attended institution, the Office of the Registrar will grant transfer credit for equivalent college-level coursework completed at institutions of higher education that are regionally accredited. Eligible courses must attain a minimum grade of a “C minus” or better and course content must relate directly to a student's program of study in order to be considered for transferability.

There are other ways in which a student may be eligible for transfer credit:  

  • Credit for prior learning

  • Credit by examination

  • Military experience

  • Foreign language skills

For more information, please contact the Center of Alternative Studies and Educational Testing.

NSCC offers the Transfer Equivalency System (TES), which allows you to search for equivalent courses from other institutions.  It is meant to assist with your transfer planning into NSCC.  The information presented here is subject to change and is not a guarantee of acceptance or transferability.

For information about transferring from NSCC to another institution, visit Transfer Services.


Step 1:

Contact your previous college(s) and request official transcripts be sent to NSCC:

Office of the Registrar

North Shore Community College

1 Ferncroft Road Danvers, MA 01923


If the institution is using an authorized delivery agent to send transcripts electronically, please have them emailed to

Note: NSCC will not recognize electronic transcripts sent by the student as official. 

Step 2:

Complete our online Transfer Credit Request Form in order to evaluate your transcripts.

Log into MyNorthshore and search for “Transfer”.

Select the tile titled “Transfer Credit Request Form”.


Important: Once we have received your official transcript, you have been accepted into a program of study, and completed the Transfer Credit Request Form we will begin the evaluation process. We are currently experiencing a high volume of requests.  Once we complete the evaluation, an email will be sent to your NSCC email account informing you to check your MyNorthshore account to view the courses for which you were granted transfer credit, and to request additional information if needed.

NOTE: There is a separate process for transferring courses from a foreign college or university.

Frequently Asked Questions

What courses do you accept for transfer credits?

Generally, transfer credit is granted for equivalent course work completed at institutions of higher education that are regionally accredited and in which a final grade of “C minus” or better is earned. There are some exceptions. For example, some Academic Programs have specific requirements for the granting of transfer credit for core professional courses (such as nursing courses or paralegal courses). If your transcript is from an institution that is not regionally accredited, it will be reviewed by the Center for Alternative Studies – however, your transcript should still be sent to the Office of the Registrar.

How does my transfer credit apply to my Program of Study?

When transfer credit is granted, it is given an NSCC course code. For example, if you took a course entitled General Psychology at another College and received a “C minus” in the course, it is transferred in and will appear on your NSCC transcript with a NSCC course code, PSY102, with a grade of “TC minus” for transfer. If PSY102 is listed on your program of study sheet, then it applies toward your program requirements.
NOTE: Transferred courses transcribed with "T + the letter grade" are not included in the calculation of your NSCC grade point average (GPA).

Why didn't a course transfer into NSCC?

  • You didn't receive a final grade of “C minus” or higher.
  • The course(s) is not equivalent to NSCC course(s).
  • You received a grade of "P" for passing (unless the transcript defines P as being a “C minus” or higher, it will not transfer into NSCC. You will need to get documentation from the College that the final grade was a “C minus” or higher).
  • The course(s) was taken at a non-accredited College.
  • The course did not apply to your Program of Study.
  • You are not matriculated (enrolled) in a Program of Study.

How can my transcript be re-evaluated due to the College’s new policy of accepting C- grades for transfer (effective July 1, 2019)?

Please complete our online Transfer Credit Request Form via MyNorthshore and search for “Transfer”. Once in the form, select “Re-evaluation of courses” when asked which service you would like to request.

How can I request a re-evaluation of my transcript?

Please complete our online Transfer Credit Request Form via MyNorthshore and search for
“Transfer”. Once in the form, select “Re-evaluation of courses” when asked which service you would like to request. Please email course descriptions and/or syllabi of the courses for which you are requesting a re-evaluation to

How can I appeal my transfer credit award?

Please review the above-mentioned reasons as to why you may not have received transfer credit for a course, under “Why didn't a course transfer into NSCC?”. If you determine that none of these reasons apply and have already requested a re-evaluation of your courses via the online Transfer Credit Evaluation Request Form and wish to appeal your transfer credit award, please email

In the Subject type: Appeal of Transfer Credits. In the body of the email, include the following: the name of the course; the course description; the College/University where it was taken; and why you are requesting the transfer credit. Attach a syllabus for the courses you wish to be re- evaluated. This information will be forwarded to the Transfer Credit Evaluator and to the appropriate Department Chair/Dean for re-evaluation. You will receive a decision via your NSCC email account.


I sent in my transcript for evaluation and never heard anything.

We need an official transcript to evaluate transfer credit. If you sent an unofficial transcript, you will not receive a transfer credit summary until you submit an official transcript (see above for instructions to do so). For new or perspective students, if you are not enrolled in a Program of Study at NSCC, your transcript will not be evaluated. For readmits/Reverse Transfer students attempting to complete your degree, you need to submit an application to graduate before your transcript will be evaluated.

How long does it take to evaluate an official transcript?

We always strive to perform the evaluation as quickly as possible. However, the evaluation times vary according to the time of year. Generally, it takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks from when we receive the official transcript to when we notify you regarding what transferred into NSCC. Although every effort is made to ensure timely evaluations year-round, the volume of transcripts requiring evaluation increases during busy registration periods, thereby, impacting evaluation turnaround-times. If you need a transcript evaluated, submit it as soon as possible to ensure a timely evaluation so that you and an advisor can determine the appropriate course selection for you.

How many credits may I transfer into NSCC?

Students must meet NSCC’s residency requirement, which means that a minimum of 25% of
your program of study credits must be completed at North Shore Community College. All
remaining credits may be transfer credits.  For example; For a 60-credit program student must
complete a minimum of 15 credits at NSCC. This applies to both degree and certificate

What is a 700 Course? 

A 700 course indicates you received transfer credit for a college-level course from another institution for which there is no NSCC equivalent.  700 courses are considered electives.  We advise you to meet with your Academic Advisor to determine how a 700 course fits into your program of study.  

Image of campus

Ready to Begin?

Apply Info Connect