Substituting Course Requirements
Required courses within a program may be substituted with another course if approved by the department in which the course is offered and the department in which the Degree / Program is offered. The following are probable reasons to submit a course substitution request form:
- Another course with appropriate depth and benefits has been taken at NSCC.
- Another course with appropriate depth and benefits has been taken at another institution.
- * Transfer courses or courses taken at NSCC that are substituted for existing program requirements must capture, to the greatest extent possible, the nature and intent of the course required. That is, they must provide the student with (1) an appropriate depth of understanding of the subject matter, and (2) benefits similar to those that would have been otherwise acquired.
- Program curriculum revision has made it difficult to complete the required course.
- Material has been covered by a course taken at another institution
A reasonable accommodation for students with documented disabilities may include a course waiver with substitution under the policy for students with disabilities. See NSCC Accommodation Policy for Students with Disabilities (on file at Student Support Center).
Program course substitution requests will not be granted because of dissatisfaction with a course or instructor, failure of a course one or more times, improper course selection, or inability to graduate without a waiver with substitution.
Program course substitution requests will not reduce the number of credits required in the program of study.
To submit a Program Course Substitution Request, please meet with your Academic Advisor. You may schedule an appointment with your Advisor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or virtually through CentroHUB.
Please note: The process to review each request and receive a decision takes approximately 1-3 weeks and may take up to 4 weeks during peak periods. Once a decision is made on your request, an email will be sent to your NSCC email account informing you of the outcome, and to request additional information if needed.