- VA students must be working toward a degree and following the curriculum as outlined for their degree plan in the catalog, since only specific courses may be applied toward VA certification.
- VA will not pay for non-required repeat of classes; if NSCC requires you to repeat the course in order to receive credit towards your degree, then VA will consider that a required repeat and the course will be applied towards the hours required for you to receive benefits.
- VA students are responsible for notifying the VA Certifying Official of any changes in their status (add / drop classes, withdraw from school, change major, etc) by filling out Benefits Request From online with updated information
- If you are seeking a double degree or major, you must fill out an Approval for Double Major / Degree and have it approved by VA before you are eligible to seek benefits. This form will be provided by your certifying official.
- Regular attendance of all classes is a requirement for VA payments. If you stop attending a class, VA will be notified and you may be required to pay back benefits.
- 12 undergraduate hours for a fall/spring term is considered full-time.
- Remember each term to fill out your Benefits Request Form for VA Educational Benefits to be certified.
- Chapters 1606, 1607 and 30 must verify their enrollment at the end of each month by calling 1-877-823-2378 or online through WAVES at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do.
- Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607 may view their monthly benefit amount and see their remaining entitlement online through WAVES at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I apply for benefits?
You can apply for benefits at the Veterans Benefits Administration web page.
Should I switch from Chapter 30 to the Post 911 bill (Chapter 33)?
The Veterans Benefits Administration provides a GI Bill® Comparison tool to compare the various chapters as well as the pros and cons of each.
When should I apply for my educational benefits?
As soon as you determine which college you wish to attend.
Will I be dropped from classes if my benefits don't arrive prior to classes starting?
No, you will not. Simply contact us at: email@example.com
Do I have to confirm my attendance each month with the VA?
If you are under chapter 30 you will be required to continue to confirm your attendance monthly, however the new GI Bill® (Chapter 33) does not require that you do this.
How many credits do I need to be full time?
You need to be registered for 12 credits each semester with the exception of summer and intersession. If you take class during summer or intersession you will need to contact Kristine Babcock at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine the requirements for full time.