The Mission of the Care & Action for Students Team (CAST) is to promote a caring and safe environment for our students. We consider each individual student through multiple perspectives and coordinate applicable campus and community resources to provide the necessary support and interventions. The team works with faculty and staff on behavioral concerns and individual situations presented by students.
The Care & Action for Students Team (CAST) at NSCC is composed of representatives from several offices and departments across the College who bring their integrative knowledge, training, and resources to respond to student concerns and manage ongoing, coordinated support for students. These situations can vary in type and urgency. The following are some typical situations considered by CAST in part or as a whole in providing holistic action and response for student concerns:
- Mental and emotional health situations
- Behavioral/social situations
- Students experiencing or presenting emotional expressions, like crying, anger, or disgruntled behavior
- Students who are not following typical self-care practices
- Student behavior, which may interfere with College operations
Some of the following situations might not be considered by CAST due to their specialized or urgent nature:
- Students who have suicidal ideation and seek immediate crisis counseling or response. You may initiative contact for these concerns by calling the College’s Suicide Protocol Line at 781-477-2164 or NSCC Campus Police at 781-593-7032/x6209.
- Immediate threats to the College community, which are managed by North Shore Community College Campus Police.
- Incidences involving discrimination, harassment, or sexual violence, which are manged by the College’s Title IX, Affirmative Action, and Compliance Officer under the College’s Policy on Affirmative Action.
- Certain Code of Conduct violations are managed by the College’s designated Code of Conduct Administrator.
Reporting a Student Concern:
- Report all student concerns using the College’s Report a Concern Form, or email email@example.com
- Self-harm and Suicidal Student Support
- The Suicide Protocol shall be followed in the event a College employee has actual knowledge that a student, is actively engaged in suicidal behavior; has engaged in suicidal behavior previously while enrolled at the College, or recently before matriculation; or has stated plans or intentions to commit suicide, including active suicidal ideation with specific plan and intent to act or active suicidal ideation with some intent to act, without a specific plan.
Meet the team
CAST is composed of representatives from the College. The team is composed of the following members:
Director of Community Standards
Chief of Campus Police
Executive Director of Wellness and Accessibility Services
Director of Accessibility Services
Community Resource Officer and Lieutenant
Dr. Lori Azzara
Licensed Clinical Psychologist and Faculty in Behavorial Sciences
Dr. Maria del Mar Vazquez
Behavorial Sciences Faculty, Cultural Competence