One Mind Pledge graphic


To address the growth of societal mental health challenges, the North Shore Community College Police Department has completed The One Mind Campaign, a pledge to improve its response to those suffering from mental health challenges, sponsored by the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP). 

To join the One Mind Campaign law enforcement agencies must pledge to implement four practices in a 12- to 36-month period to ensure successful future interactions between police officers and persons with mental health challenges. The practices include: establish a clearly defined and sustainable partnership with one or more community health organizations; develop and implement a model policy addressing law enforcement response to individuals with mental health conditions; train and certify 100 percent of sworn officers (and selected non-sworn staff, such as dispatchers) in mental health; training a minimum of 20% of sworn officers in Crisis Intervention Training (CIT), Crisis Response and Intervention Training (CRIT), or an equivalent best practice crisis intervention training program; and providing Mental Health First Aid training or equivalent to the remaining 80 percent of officers (and selected non-sworn staff).

“In the law enforcement community, mental health challenges have become a common focus, with some departments estimating that as many as 20% of their calls for service are related to mental health challenges,” said NSCC Police Chief David Cook.  “Our Department is committed to treating individuals suffering from mental health challenges fairly, respectfully and in an appropriate and professional manner. As such, we need to be able to connect with each person in our community, regardless of any personal challenges they may be facing. We embraced the One Mind Campaign to ensure our department is providing the most relevant and comprehensive approach to providing mental health responses to the college community.”

“I want to personally congratulate Chief Cook and the dedicated members of the North Shore Community College Police Department on your achievement in completing the One Mind Campaign Pledge. You have demonstrated your agency’s commitment to the safety and well-being of all the members of your community by training and certifying 100% of your agency’s officers in Mental Health First Aid (or an equivalent mental health awareness course) and at least 20% of your sworn staff in Crisis Intervention Training (CIT) (or equivalent crisis response training),” said Wade Carpenter, President of the IACP.

“As policing leaders, we know that successful interactions between police officers and persons affected by mental health challenges improves public trust, enhances officer safety, and saves lives. The significance of your efforts cannot be overstated – congratulations!” Carpenter added. 

For more information about the One Mind Campaign, visit the IACP’s website.


Image of campus

Ready to Begin?

Apply Info Connect