Q: What is the difference between the Early Childhood Education Program (ECD) and the Early Childhood Development Program (EDT)? 
A: The Early Childhood Education Program (ECD) is a career program designed for students who want to teach in preschool settings for children ages 2.9-6 years i.e. child care centers, nursery school programs, Head Start programs, family child-care programs, and  paraeducators (teacher-aides in public schools) that leads to an Associate of Science degree. It qualifies graduates for the Department of Early Education and Care lead-teacher certification (if you are 21 years of age). 

The Early Childhood Development Program, Licensure Track (EDT) is designed for students wanting to teach in public schools (Pre-K- grade 3) after transferring and obtaining a Bachelor's degree and passing the Massachusetts Teacher Licensure exam.


Q: Does the Early Childhood Education Program (ECD) coursework transfer to four year colleges?
A: Many courses transfer to four year institutions. We currently have articulations agreement with Lesley University, Wheelock College and Merrimack College who take up to 60 credits of your course work. Many state colleges and universities take up to 32 credits or more.


Q: What do Field Placement and Seminar 1 and 2 in Early Childhood Education courses require?
A: Field Placement and Seminar courses require you to participate in supervised fieldwork in educational preschool settings that are identified by the Program Coordinator. You will spend 16 hours a week working directly with children in a preschool classroom, traditionally over four mornings. You are also required to attend a two hour seminar each week. When scheduling classes be sure to keep your mornings open, additional classes must be scheduled for the afternoon beginning at 12:30pm or later.


Q: When do I begin my Field Placement and Seminar courses?

A: If you wish to graduate in a timely fashion, you should begin your fieldwork when you have completed ECE101 Child Growth and Development with a C or better. For day students this would mean the second semester (Winter/Spring) of your first year at the college.  If you take them later than this it could extend your time at the college by at least two semesters.


Q: What do I do if I am employed during the morning hours?
A: A Taking Field Placement course takes some sacrifice and definitely takes planning ahead. You will need to clear your morning schedule so that you are free to do your fieldwork and participate in the once a week two hour seminar.


Q: Do I need to take other courses along with my field placement work?
A: In order to complete Field Placement 1 requirements you will need to take ECE202 either before or in the same semester as you are taking this class. In order to complete Field Placement 2 requirements you will need to take ECE102 either before or in the same semester as you are taking this class.


Q: Will I be paid for my field placement work?
A: Traditionally students are not paid for their field placement work.  Field work is an integral component to your course of study and your growth as an early childhood professional.


Q: Can I do my Field Placement work in my work place?
A:It is possible to do your field experience in your work place. You will need to meet with the Program Coordinator to see if you and your Director are able to meet the required criteria.


Q: If I earn the Infant and Toddler Child Care Certificate or a CDA at North Shore Community College will it transfer into the Early Childhood Program?
A: The Infant/Toddler Certificate and the CDA (Child Development Associate) transfer completely into the Early Childhood Education program.


Q: Do you award credits for prior experience working with children?
A: No, the Early Childhood Education program does not award credit for prior experience working with children. We need to observe you in the field working directly with children in a qualified preschool setting.

Image of campus

Ready to Begin?

Apply Info Connect