NSCC’s Adult Learning Center offers free literacy, math, and High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) or GED prep courses to help you pursue further education and job training. Professional instructors, assisted by experienced volunteers, teach small-sized classes. You can progress at your own pace and work with an individual advisor to begin planning for future goals.
The Center offers three levels of classes based on reading skills.
You must be able to commit to three days of classes from 9:30am to 1:00pm.
The Time is Now: NSCC's Adult Learning Center
Learn from those who have benefitted from NSCC’s Adult Learning Center. Your success is our mission; see how we’ve helped others like you.
The Adult Learning Center offers FREE literacy, numeracy, and High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) prep courses to help
students pursue further education and job training. The center offers three levels
of classes based on reading skills. Students must be able to commit to three days
of classes from 9:30 to 1:00.
Professional instructors, assisted by experienced volunteers, teach the small-sized classes. Students progress at their own pace and work with an individual advisor to begin planning for future goals.
What we teach
- Critical Thinking and Analysis
- Career Development and Education Planning
- Oral Communication: English language and public speaking skills
- Reading: Vocabulary skills and reading comprehension
- Writing: Grammar, punctuation, and essay or report writing
- Math: Basic arithmetic to algebra and geometry
- High School Equivalency Test Preparation
How to enroll
The first step to enrolling in NSCC’s Adult Learning Center is to schedule an assessment appointment.
To schedule an appointment, please contact:
Adult Learning Center Intake Coordinator
If your schedule does not allow you to attend classes in person, you may be eligible for our Online Learning program, which enables you to study at home with instructor support.
Online Learning requires you to commit to:
- Five hours of online study per week
- Attending an orientation session
- Participating in periodic face-to-face meetings
- Maintaining email communication with instructors
- Responding to follow-up emails from the ALC Distance Learning coach
- Consistent access to a computer with an Internet connection
To find out more, please contact:
Adult Learning Center Online Learning Coach
How to get transcripts
Copies of your HiSET or GED scores can be obtained from the following:
Donate or volunteer
NSCC’s Adult Learning Center is funded by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
However, donations can make a huge difference.
With a gift of $100 to the Adult Learning Center for High School Equivalency Testing (HiSET), you can provide a deserving student the opportunity to complete a HiSET and move on to college, job training, or a new career path.
Interested in volunteering?
Special Programs Coordinator
NSCC Adult Learning Center