What is financial aid?
Financial Aid is money awarded to the student to cover the costs of tuition, fees
and other costs related to school such as books.
There are 3 kinds of financial aid:
- Grants & Scholarships (money you don’t have to pay back)
- Student loans (money you will later have to pay back)
- Work Study (part time jobs at the school or the community)
What is an FSA ID?
It is made up of a username and password and is used to log into and submit your FAFSA on the Web. If you do not already have an FSA ID, you can create an FSA ID.
What is a FAFSA?
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the application that you complete when requesting financial aid from both the Federal and State Governments. It can be completed on-line or on paper version that is mailed in.
Is there an application deadline?
It is best to complete the FAFSA before May 1st in order to be considered for the most amount of aid since Massachusetts (which receives your FAFSA information) does not give out full time grants to those students whose applications are processed after this date. The Federal deadline for the FAFSA is June 30th at the end of the school year for which you are applying. NOTE: You do not have to have already applied for admissions in order to complete a FAFSA.
How do I know if I'm eligible for Financial Aid?
You must be either a U.S. Citizen or have permanent resident status. Eligibility is determined by a U.S. Department of Education formula. Your college then determines the amount based on this determination and will notify you.
What is the definition of "Dependent Status"?
You are a dependent if you are under the age of 24 prior to January of the current school year and answer no to each of the following questions:
- At the beginning of the school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program?
- As of today are you married?
- Do you have child(ren) that receives more than half their support from you?
- Do you have dependents (other than children or spouse) who live with you and receive more than half their support from you?
- When you were 13 or older, were both of your parents deceased, or are you or were you a ward/dependent of the court?
- As of today, has a court determined that you are an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship?
- At any time on or after July 1st of the previous year, were you documented to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
- Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?