A - Z | Find Courses | Find Faculty & Staff | Search Site
North Shore Community College
You are here: Home  >  Disability Services  >  Information for Parents

Information for Parents

How Does Disability Services work with students at the college level?

One of the main functions of Disability Services at the college level is to review the student's submitted documentation and meet with students to determine appropriate accommodations. Disability Services also works with students who request meetings during the semester. We connect students to appropriate resources and support students in developing the advocacy skills and self-awareness needed to succeed in college and beyond.

Does my son or daughter's IEP or 504 Plan automatically transfer to college?

No, the IEP and 504 Plan from high school do not transfer to college and the student does not need to submit the IEP or 504 Plan to request accommodations. The laws and regulations that govern Disability Services in college are different from those that govern services in high school. Please review our website for more information about the changes to expect as your son or daughter transitions to college.

How does my son or daughter request accommodations in college?

To request accommodations in college, students must self-identify. The student submits the appropriate Disability Services Packet or Packets to Disability Services. After the student has completed this step and has registered for courses, the student attends an intake appointment with a Disability Counselor to request specific accommodations. The intake emphasizes an open, collaborative effort between the student and the counselor to develop a set of reasonable accommodations. We suggest that students attend the intake independently so that students have the opportunity to establish a relationship with the Disability Counselor and to gain experience speaking about, making decisions about, and advocating for accommodations. Students can request changes to accommodations after the intake by contacting the Disability Counselor. Requested accommodations are reviewed by the Disability Services Team.

Which accommodations can my son or daughter have?

Accommodations are approved based on the nature of the disability and the documentation provided. Some courses and programs of study present specific limitations to accommodations. Because of these factors, it is not possible to determine accommodations prior to the intake interview.

Can my son or daughter have accommodations on the Computerized Placement Test (CPT)?

The CPT provides unlimited time on the Reading and Math sections and built-in Extended Test Time on the Writing section. For this reason, there is no Extended Test Time accommodation for the CPT. If your son or daughter has a diagnosis of low vision, blindness, dyslexia, or an upper mobility disability, he or she may be eligible to take the companion version of the CPT or to use assistive technology on the CPT. If the student believes he or she meets the requirements, we ask the student to submit the completed Disability Services Packet or Packets at least 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the semester and to contact Disability Services to request an intake for a CPT accommodation.

Are there accommodations that are not provided?

Some accommodations that are not provided include fundamental changes to a student's courses or program of study, comprehensive socialization programs, aids who attend classes with students or who guide students during exams, and lowered standards for grading and evaluation.

How will professors know that my son or daughter has been approved for accommodations?

To inform professors that the student has been approved for accommodations, the student delivers a Faculty Letter to each professor. The nature of the student's disability is not disclosed in the Faculty Letter. The student can voluntarily disclose information about his or her disability to the professor if the student deems it appropriate.

Will my son/daughter's Disability Counselor/professor tell me how my child is doing in classes?

Confidentiality laws (FERPA, GRAMA, and the ADA) protect the student's privacy in post-secondary education. Therefore, Disability Services does not provide information about a student's attendance, grades, performance, or accommodations to parents. We encourage students to discuss their classes and academic progress with parents. Faculty members are legally prohibited from sharing information about students with parents. Students can request assistance in communicating with faculty, if needed, through Disability Services or The Student Support and Advising Center.

How can I help my son or daughter transition to college?

Many parents of students with disabilities have found it necessary to advocate for their children in educational settings prior to college. As a result, parents often experience anxiety when placing the full responsibility to succeed academically on their children. We urge parents to consider the opportunity that college presents to students to develop independent life skills. Parents can support their children most effectively by encouraging students to communicate openly, to evaluate their options, and to initiate resolutions. Disability Services is a resource for students to call on at the start of the semester and at times when academic difficulties arise.

My son or daughter is a Dual Enrollment student or a STEP student. Will his/her accommodations from high school apply to the courses that my son or daughter is taking at NSCC?

Since the student is taking courses at the college level, the student's accommodations will be governed by the same process used to determine accommodations for other college students. Your son or daughter must submit the appropriate Disability Services Packet or Packets and attend an intake appointment to determine accommodations. Approved accommodations may be different from those that the student receives in high school because the laws that govern Disability Services in high school and college are different.

Where can I find answers to more questions about Disability Services?

The Student Guide to Disability Services is a comprehensive resource that answers many questions about requesting and using accommodations at the college level. Just click on the link in our menu.

Sign In