COP202 Cooperative Education/Internships
Student Program Requirements
- The Cooperative Education/Internship Course (COP202) integrates in-class (hybrid) or online academic class sessions with an approved and supervised work experience directly related to the student’s major. Students must complete a minimum of 120 hours of work and participate in approximately 12-15 hours of in class (hybrid) or online class sessions.
- COP202 is required in the following programs of study:
|Accounting ||Graphic Design
|Culinary Arts & Food Service ||Executive Administrative Assistant
|Legal Administrative Assistant ||Medical Administrative Assistant
|Hospitality & Tourism||
- Students may use COP202 as an open elective course in the following majors:
|Criminal Justice ||Computer Networking
|Liberal Arts ||Computer Programming
|Computer Applications ||Food Science & Safety
- Students have received assistance from the Cooperative Education/Internships office in the following majors:
Health Sciences Engineering Business Administration Transfer
- COP202 prerequisites needed:
Students must (1) have completed at least 27 credits in their program of study in addition to (2) have taken and passed CMP101 Composition 1, and (3) have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- COP202 is offered each semester: fall, winter/spring and summer and offered either on site or online.
- A student may use his/her current job (1) if it directly relates to your program of study, (2) you are NOT working for a family member or friend, and (3) you are working in a supervised environment. The Cooperative Education/Internship placement coordinator must approve a student's work site related to his/her academic major at the time of registration. Call (978)739-5511 or email email@example.com for further information.
- Assistance in securing an approved work placement is available. Students should allow at least 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the course to take advantage of job assistance which includes creating a resume, participating in job search activities, and receiving tips on interview techniques and writing thank you letters. Call (978)-739-5511 for assistance or for further information.
- Students and employers must: sign the Massachusetts Community College Internship Agreement and employers will also be contacted to verify employment, check on your work performance through on-site visits, and participate in post internship surveys.
- If you have prior work experience in your major, you may meet the eligibility criteria to complete the COP202 Exemption Form to Waive Program Requirement to request a waiver. The form can be downloaded from the department/program web page.
- To waive COP202, you must be able to demonstrate that you have relevant full-time or equivalent part-time work experience in your major field of study within the last 3 to 5 years. Upon verification of the information you provide on the COP202 Exemption Form to Waive Program Requirement, you will be notified by mail as to the approval/disapproval of your request to waive the course.
- If waiver is approved, you must substitute either a 3-credit business elective or a 3-credit open elective depending upon the course requirements outlined on your particular program of study.
- You must take the COP202 course to fulfill the graduation requirement.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Matthew Qualter at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (978) 739-5511.