Service-learning is a teaching and learning method that connects meaningful community service experiences with academic learning, focusing on critical, reflective thinking, and civic responsibility. Service-Learning enhances what is taught in college by extending students' learning beyond the classroom and providing opportunities for students to use their emerging and acquired skills and knowledge to meet real needs in the community.
The Service-Learning Program at NSCC has identified the following student learning outcomes:
- Students will link course content to what they are learning in the "real world" while meeting community needs.
- Students will develop an awareness of community needs, which creates an understanding of the value of civic responsibility.
- Students will develop communication and networking skills.
- Students will reflect on their Service-Learning experience and examine their attitudes, values and beliefs.
- Students will enhance critical thinking and problem solving skills through active learning.
Service Learning Contacts
Phone: (978) 739-5571
Graduate Fellow in Service-Learning