Type: Career, Degree (AS)
Division: Career & Tech Education & Bus
The Medical Administrative Assistant degree program provides students with an extensive background in medical terminology and transcription along with knowledge of third-party billing and records management. Computer skills needed for competitive employment such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, and medical software are also integrated into the course work. Employment opportunities are found in a variety of medical settings such as physician's offices, hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, research laboratories, public health departments, and health maintenance organizations.
- Produce accurate business documents using word processing, spreadsheets, presentation graphics, database and calendar management software.
- Perform basic accounting functions including computerized software.
- Communicate effectively in a business environment both verbally and in writing.
- Apply interpersonal skills as they relate to business.
- Perform front office tasks using simulated electronic health records software including scheduling appointments, registering patients, and documenting patient health information.
- Transcribe medical reports using correct medical terminology and applying editing and language arts skills.
- Prepare health insurance claim forms and document diagnostic and procedure codes.
- Understand the legal and ethical standards of privacy and confidentiality as they apply to patient care.